Saturday, July 01, 2006

I really want to be more personal in my posts, but it's hard talking about myself, especially if family is reading my blog. Maybe I should just do a blog with an anonymous name. I have been reading a lot of blogs on being bipolar. I would rather use the old day term, manic depression, because the manic part is what really stands out. Some people don't want to admit to their doctors that they are manic (well, I had a hard time telling my doctor about the manic episodes) because the highs felt soooo good. The problem came when the high turned into a low low low. I would be talking a mile a minute, making all kinds of plans, cleaning the house like a mad woman, and that was the time when I would really drink heavily and sometimes drug. What a rush. Then the next day I wouldn't be able to get out of bed. Depressed as hell!! I have tried several drugs for the manic side of me. Let's see, I was on Risperdal twice. Each time I gained so much weight (30 pounds in one month) that I stayed depressed. Had to let that one go. Before that I tried Abilify, and that just put me in a daze for the two months I was on it. I started going to be hella early, 7 or 8 p.m. And then I would sleep until well after noon. What kind of life is that. When I told my doc he said that drug usually had an opposite effect on his other clients. It also gave me tremors, which sometimes felt like I had a tick. Well, I kind of gave up on my search for the right drug right. But I need to get back on track with that. I started having problems again. Mood swings and shit. One minute happy, next minute sad, next minute ready to scream!!! Any ideas on the right drug?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, Family! I don't have any advice - I think different combinations work for different people. I have yet to see the exact same combination of drugs work on two people. I'm not even talking about dosages - just the same drugs! I could tell you what has NOT worked on me, but then again, they've worked on other people, so that wouldn't be fair. Do you have a pdoc? A good psychiatrist - one that you can trust and that listens to you who adjusts your medication appropriately is the most important thing. There ARE some bad ones out there - I had one once, but most are good, in my experience...good luck!

cozynblue said...

Yes Kansassunflower, I do have a psychiatrist, one I can trust and one who listens. I have been seeing her for a little over a year. The last two meds I tried were Risperdal for psychosis and Abilify for the mania. Risperdal made me blow up like a balloon. I gained around 30 pounds in 2 months. Talk about depressing. Abilify turned me into a zombie. I'd be tired and in bed by 7p.m. and then I'd sleep until noon the next day. Not much of a life at all.
I don't think I'm going to give up on finding the right meds, I'm just taking a break to do my own research. I told my doc that and she said that was a good idea. Find one with the least side effects or with side effects I can deal with. Weight gain is horrible to deal with. I already feel ugly and unwanted. HaHa. Talk to you later, it's time toget dinner started. Baked pork chops and potatos tonight.
Just learning how to answer comments. Didn't mean to send you a email Kansas.